Wednesday 27 February 2008

Tehran - The Review

So I'm back in dear old dirty Dublin and have had a chance to reflect on the trip.

The last day in Tehran was great - I got to visit the Shah's palace and see the wealth in which he and his wife lived. Funnily enough the remains of a large statue of the Shah - toppled during the revolution - stands outside the palace and all that remains are his boots and jodphurs. I'm reminded of the poem Ozmandias.

Carpet shopping in the market place - an amazing warren of alleys over 200 years old. Negotiating a deal - 'tag negotiating' really - I negotiated the first discount and then sent in the event organiser Sepehr and his dad to negotitate the second discount.

The market would be an anxious place to be as a foreigner without local back-up. Huge crowds of people in which one could easily get lost.

The trip was what I had hoped it would be - a chance to see a new country that wouldn't usually be on the travel map. I was impressed with the people and the enormous potential and resources that exist there. I was impressed with how Western the society - despite its repressive elements - actually was. People adapt. Change has happened in these last 10 years I was assured and change would continue.

Air travel there and back was a struggle - especially the long delays at Instanbul airport. That was the hardest piece. However I was very well looked after by our hosts while in Iran. They have a great hunger for knowledge and a great sense of hospitality to guests.

Would I go back? Yes. I would - just not through Istanbul airport next time (the airport was fine - just the waiting...). But the trip itself lived up to its expectations. Special mention to Alan Cummins and Elsie at the embassy in Tehran for making me feel at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment