Saturday 7 November 2009

A Lifetime's Value

I ran a short network master class recently as a favour for a good friend of mine, John McCormack, for the parents association of a Dublin school celebrating it's 150th year. Afterwards, over coffee (which I really have to stop drinking) I was approached by an elderly gentleman called Joe Grehan.

Now Joe is 91 years old. Quite a feat in itself but not only that, he is officially 'the oldest toastmaster in the world' - as he took great delight in telling me. Now tell me that there isn't something to learn from a man like that? So when I asked Joe what he spoke about - his message to his audiences from his lifetime of experience - he spoke three simple words which I'll share with you now.

For me they sum up everything about the understated, classic, professional elegance that we should bring to being a trusted advisor, a sales professional or leader.

Simplicity, Sincerity and Service.

'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment